



Yesterday afternoon my neighbor Bjorn (Not His Real Name) came over and told me to grab my camera and follow him, and I'm nothing if not obedient, so I reached for Rick's camera (he has the fancy one) and trooped out the door. It was well worth it, because their owl was posing in his oak tree and the sun was hitting him perfectly. (Maybe it was the girl owl, who knows.) We have Maggie (Not Her Real Name Either) to thank for these photos, because she noticed Mr. or Mrs. Owl when she was taking Biscuit (do you have to ask?) for an afternoon walk. There has been a pair of barn owls living in this tree next to their barn for years and years now, but they aren't always so accomodating of our photography efforts. We wanted to see her pick off the lizard, but our nature fantasy wasn't fulfilled this day.


Chapter 3. The Turkey's Revenge. You will be oh so glad I don't have photos for this part. I have a sort of love-hate relationship with our wild turkeys. OK, maybe more of a dislike-hate relationship. I do like them when they are in Bjorn and Maggie's pasture, but when they flock down into my back yard, I do everything I can to shoo them out. I am not proud of this, but I have been known to fire my Daisy Red Ryder in the air to let them know I Mean Business. I don't think it scares them too much, because they are back every evening. I keep thinking they might learn something along the lines of "Hey, every time we come in this crazy lady's yard she shoots at us and runs at us flailing her arms and sics her dogs on us. Maybe we shouldn't come back" but so far that hasn't happened.
And now it gets worse. See, the turkeys go to bed with the chickens (not literally) so they tend to be awake hours earlier than I am in the morning. And they have decided to mess with me. I stepped out the front door to find the world's biggest turkey dropping right in front of the door. I know that was No Accident. In fact, I am pretty sure I heard some turkey snickerings from around the side of the house. I think I understood one of them to cackle "Wait till she sees what we did to her toothbrush while she was asleep."
That was actually yesterday morning. And I haven't been able to sleep yet. Yet another night of sitting in the porch rocker with my Daisy Red Ryder across my lap.
Ahh, country life.
8 comments:
Wow, those are some really great shots of the owl. You are so lucky to get close like that. Your apron came out excellent. I always find out about these swaps after the fact. I need to do some swap hunting and see if I can find one up my alley. I don't really like swapbot, because of the whoel rating thing. It's like, the last thing I want to be rated on is my crafting right. Ah well, maybe it is just me.
Cool about the owl! Love the pic with the lizard too!
The bad thing about turkeys is that they are pretty stupid. They'll forget that they already pulled that poop prank on you, and they'll do it again in a day or so!
Really cute apron! You are so talented! I hate turkeys! My dad decided to raise them once and then kill them and have US pluck them. Well, they were still breathing and moving when we were plucking! EEEK! I have never been able to eat turkey the same way since!
Just don't shoot your eye out with your Red Ryder! That might hurt!
That turkey story is too funny. I'm going to laugh about that for a long time. The owl pictures are beautiful.
Ok, you have me cracking up. I live up by Danville in Northern Cal... I don't know if you know the area of Blackhawk Country Club??? I don't live there, but it always has me giggling when I drive by because those darn turkeys are everywhere... all over the golf course. I can just imagine those country club gals w/a daisy red rider (is that a shot gun?... I'm sort of a city gal)... Anyways the image of that! Too funny.
Also, I have to get my 12 year old down here to look at that owl... she's obsessed with them since we spent a night on a working ranch and the ranger took us out to listen for them. Thanks for the entertainment this evening.
There is a swap where they RATE your craft? Nope, no way, nuh uh!
I have heard of that swanky subdivision--I love the thought of the turkeys pooping all over that fancy real estate. Oh wait, was that mean? I don't want anyone to think I'm mean. I just want to BE mean, I don't want anyone to notice. Anyway, bring that 12-year-old on down! I don't know how far Danville is from Atascadero--I have always been geography challenged.
great apron, and cool owl shots!
Oh my goodness, I just got my apron, and it is gorgeous! I adore it! It is so pretty that I will be afraid to use it and mess it up. Thanks so so so much. Great job!
Post a Comment