I slept until 1:30 p.m. today and I'm proud as a peacock. This is a throwdown. Who can match me hour for hour? (I went to sleep around 3 a.m.)
My sore throat has returned and the last couple of nights I haven't slept well, so this morning when my alarm clock rang, I shut it off and went back to sleep. For a long, long time. Until the last couple of years, I couldn't sleep this late even if I tried, but I seem to have recaptured my ability to sleep like a teenager.
So, here's the thing. Why is it that teenagers are allowed, no, expected to sleep all day, but then the rest of our lives we feel guilty for sleeping late?
Discuss.
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh heya,
I am so very deeply and honestly sorry and a tiny bit ashamed to tell this, but I think I beat you tonight, sleepnessly. For I too, went to bed around 3am, but just slept on until 2pm! And that while my poor, poor mister had to get up in the middle of the night (9am) and I really should've had coffee with him. And even worse/better; at around 5pm I went to bed again! And slept for two more hours.
And I am not sorry!
studying, lurking-on-the-web and past-time-crafting are three fulltime jobs on their own and require so ridiculously much time and attention and energy that on yer casual day I'm happy if I get 4hours of sleep.
Sometimes I even skip sleep for the academy, but we'll be fine, sometimes I skip the academy for sleep in return.
I really can relate to feeling guilty for sleeping while just a couple of years ago it was a little miracle for me to get out of bed at 5pm. I think we're encouraged to find our rhythm and limits in the teenhood, while afterwards we're expected to be nice and very correct gears in the machine of every-day's-life, just like everyone else.
You know, I think we should start some rebellion. I bet in truth everyone is bloody sick of it!Isn't it just kind of ridiculous anyway to have to get up at 6am and fully functionate at work or school just two hours later? To then get home at 6pm, get smashed by mountains of householding and homeworking and crawl back into bed at midnight, but only if you have no other interests whatsoever?
We might try and storm the Eiffeltower to start with. It might work!
~ely
I was not allowed to sleep in when I was a teenager. No, my mom was having none of that! There were chores to be done at seven on a Saturday morning. It was cruel. Looking back I should have called DFS. I make up for it now by sleeping in until eight (woohoo) on Saturday and Sunday and taking very long naps. It drives her crazy when she calls and I'm asleep in the middle of the day. I just laugh to myself because she can't do anything about it.
The rebellion starts HERE!!!!
And thanks for sharing that you whipped me, Ely! I'm glad I'm not alone in my sleep weirdness. I do go without enough sleep a lot of the time, and then when I can, I will sleep practically around the clock.
Very good question! I always feel horribly guilty when I sleep in
Not so very long ago my dad claimed all my weekend early morning hours expecting me to rise when he did and be ready to do which ever project of household maintenance he had planned for the day. Now moved out and married I sleep till 9 most days. Not so for my baby brother. He has the same (windowless) basement bedroom that I had and my dad has become truly ingenious. He hooked a ultra-bright LED light to an upstairs solar panel and placed right above my brother's bed. He rises with the sun because of it. And when thats not enough, my dad also added a doorbell that he can ring with a remote for whenever he needs my brother to come upstairs. Hows that for creative parenting?
Very ingenious!
I don't know how my mother did it. That poor woman would wake us kids up over and over and over for school, because we knew she wouldn't let us oversleep and we pushed it to the limit. My dad, on the other hand, wasn't so patient. He would flick on the overhead light (all bedrooms used to have them) and then fling off the covers, both of which were jarring, and if that didn't get an immediate response he might tickle the bottoms of our feet. He was a cheerful early riser, which drove us all mad!!
Post a Comment