Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My memory was jogged

See, I could be telling you all kinds of great things, tips and such, but I think of them when I'm not around my computer, and then I get back here and I think to myself, "Hmmm. I wonder what that great tip was that I thought of a little while ago when I was down at the feed store." And then I think. And think. And think some more, till my head hurts and my brain is full, and still I don't remember what it was. But! Today I saw something at Pink Chalk Studio that reminded me of one of my (many, oh so many) fabulous ideas. She has a tutorial about using fabric to cover switch plates.

Well, I have covered nearly every switch plate in this house, and here's what I learned. Covering switch plates with fabric is hard. I don't like things that are hard. So when I want to use fabric, I put it in my color printer/scanner/copier and copy it onto plain white printer paper. The cheap stuff is best, because it's easier to glue on thin paper. The bonus is that in every all-in-one printer that I know of, you can change the scale of the copy, so if you have a print that you like, but the scale is too big for a switch plate, you can scale it down. I made switch plates to match my bedsheets, scaling down the too-big paisley print.

Here's a photo of a switch plate I covered with a photocopied book page. I would show you the bedsheet one, but I don't have a picture of it, and to get up and go take a picture and upload it would be hard. See above for my reaction to hard tasks.


See the paint on the switch? I, uh, I did that on purpose. Yes, I did.

5 comments:

jen duncan said...

LOL Kathi. Yes, one MUST avoid the difficult tasks. I hear they can be very aging. :-0 Cool idea for photocopying the fabric. thanks!

JuliaB said...

WOW!! Where do you get those transparent switch plates? Are they expensive? Over here in the UK, anything other than white plastic costs a fortune. But what a fantastic idea ... I can think of all sorts of fabrics to photocopy and stick to my switchplates -if I had any ..

Kathi D said...

Urk, I didn't even notice that was one of the transparent ones, but yes, they are very cool. I got them at one of the big box hardware stores, I forget which. The good thing about these is that there is no gluing and you can swap out what's inside any time.

For most of mine, though, I used the white plastic ones and glued on the paper with ModPodge and liberally coated the top with ModPodge too. Mainly because these clear plastic ones are quite a bit more expensive and I did a LOT of them.

Kathi D said...

I couldn't remember how much they cost, but I just googled it and found some for $3.19 each, compared with about 39 cents for the plain ones.

Hey It's Di said...

Very cute Kathi! I love it! I also identify with the paint on the switch, as I have MANY with that same feature. I think it comes that way? haha!